Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Layered Canvas Quote


Layered Canvas Quote


Layered Quote Canvas


Once again Pinterest inspired me!



Check out the original tutorial.


 I rarely see an idea and copy it as it is, but I try to put my own spin on it and that is what I did with this project.


I started with
-a 16"X20" canvas (which I found at Michael's on sale for 2 for $5 this week! BONUS!)
-acrylic craft paint
-letter stickers
-brushes


Layered Quote Canvas  Layered Quote Canvas


Layer 1: Begin by painting the entire canvas a solid color including the edges.  I chose a bright pink for my daughter's room. I tried to keep a texture in the paint to add a bit of interest.  LET IT DRY!


Layered Quote Canvas  Layered Quote Canvas


Layer 2: Next add a design.  I used bright green to pain polka dots.  I am not a very orderly person, so my polkas dots did not have to be in a perfect pattern.  Create the design over the whole canvas, it will add texture to the sections that are not exposed.  LET IT DRY!


Layered Quote Canvas


Add any quote you want in adhesive letters.  To tell you the truth, I was afraid the color would seep under these letters but was pleasantly surprised that they worked like a charm.  Be sure to press them down firmly, especially along the edges.


Layered Quote Canvas


Layer 3: Use a stippling motion, up and down, to paint over the entire canvas.  The stippling motion is important so that you avoid guiding the paint under the letters.  It also works to create a great texture.   LET IT DRY COMPLETELY!  (This is especially hard because you will be super excited to see how it comes out!)


Layered Quote Canvas


Use a knife or toothpick, to raise a corner of each letter and slowly peal the letters away to expose the pattern underneath.


Now, I will never claim to be an artist, well, at least not a painter anyway, as I feel that crafting is an art form in and of itself, but I was SUPER excited with how this came out!  Add a hanger of some kind (I just tied a bow and stapled the ends of the ribbon to the back) and admire your work of art!


Layered Quote Canvas


Layered Quote Canvas  Layered Quote Canvas  Layered Quote Canvas


Join us! Our Community of Creativity!

5 comments: