Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Baby Bird Nursery Crib Quilt: Day 4

I'm back with Today's feature: My Baby Bird Crib Quilt.



Now, let me start by saying that I am no quilting expert...I have only made a couple of quilts in my lifetime and they are never perfect.  That being said, I could not find a quilt that fit what I was looking for so I decided to give a shot  at designing my own.


My finished quilt is 36"X52"




  • Fabric: 100% Cotton

  • 2.5 yds for backing and borders

  • 1 yd each of 6 prints

  • 1 crib size cotton batting

  • Fabric for binding

  • Thread

  • Iron on adhesive (Heat and Bond)


I choose a fabric with a white background and birds in primary and secondary colors.  I wanted the quilt to be appropriate for either a boy or a girl, because we never find out the gender before the baby is born.



My other fabrics were patterns in the colors of the birds:


red, orange, yellow, blue, green & brown.



After the fabric is chosen, bring it home and wash it in baby detergent and iron it.  Cut as follows:


Bird Fabric:


(1) 35" X 52 "


(2) 4" X 29"


(2) 4" X 50"


(4) 6"X12.5"


(1) 6" X 45"


One of each color:


12.5" X 12.5"


Next I applied the adhesive to about a 12" X 12" portion of each colored fabric.  I then cut


1 body,  1 Wing and 1 triangle for a beak from each color.



This is the pattern I used to cut the body and wing.  I cut a small triangle for each beak.


I assembled each bird with one part in each color and another color for the base.  I  ironed each piece to it's base so now I had (6) 12.5" X 12.5" squares with the birds adhered.  I ran each through the sewing machine with the zigzag stitch set wide and short.  Having never done this before there may be a better way, or a better stitch but I was very happy with the results. I added little feet to each.



I then sewed the quilt front together:


(1) 6" X 12.5" to the bottom of four of the bird squares.


Sew a bird square on the bottom each of those rows.  Now you have 2 rows.


Join those rows in the center with the 6"X45" piece


Add a 4"X29" piece to the top and bottom, and then a 4"X50" to each side.



Next I built my quilt sandwich, layering the quilt top, the batting (I use the natural cotton as I like the feel and weight of it for a baby quilt), and the backing.


I pinned it and "stitched in the ditch around each square and around the large outer rectangle.  I created the binding with the orange fabric or you can use store bought binding.


I hand stitched the binding to the back.



The final product:



Thanks for checking out my tutorial!  I know it is not a technically correct quilt, but I was happy with the results and wanted to share!


Be sure to comment to enter to win a baby birdhouse at the end of our Baby Bird Nursery series!



 

 

7 comments: