Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Family Monogram with the Cameo

There are not nearly enough hours in the day to do all of the creative and crafty things that I have in my brain, but this is one thing I wanted to create from the moment I got my Silhouette. We moved into a new house, Our Forever Home, over the summer and I have been doing little things to make it our own.  I finally had the time to sit down and get this out of my head, onto vinyl, and onto my wall.  

I have yet to have the time to figure out how to create my own designs on the Silhouette, and since I did not want to wait any longer I took shapes I purchased from the Silhouette Online Store, and 2 fonts, combined them, and created a gorgeous monogram for our wall.   

I began with the Daniela Angelova Doilies and the Echo Park Flourish.  I chose the doily I wanted to use, and deleted the others.  I placed it in the middle of the work area. Then I took the flourish and placed it on the left side of the doily and played with the size until I got the proportion I wanted.  Then I copied and pasted the flourish, flipped it horizontally and placed it on the other side of the doily.  I then made sure the flourishes joined the doily at the same place and clicked the weld button to join them into one shape.

Next, I played with fonts until I found the ones I liked best.  I used Antiqua for the S and the Established 2001.  I used Edwardian Script for The Selah Family. (DOn't forget to weld your letters, too!) I laid it all out exactly as I wanted it to cut to be sure I liked the proportions and layout. I played with the size and proportions ALOT until I got it exactly how I wanted it. 

I cut the background on one piece of black vinyl, the name and date on another and the initial on cream, as close to the wall color as I could find.  This was my first attempt at such a large and complicated design. It is approx. 18" X 24".  It is not perfect but I still have a lot to learn! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! 

p.s. follow my blog! You never know what fun stuff might be coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment